[ogsa-wg] BES query

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 31 09:11:22 CDT 2005

Mark McKeown <zzalsmm3 at nessie.mcc.ac.uk> wrote on 08/31/2005 09:53:39 AM:

> Hi Tom,
>
> > >If so,
> > > then a unique AbstractName is needed in order to accurately resolve
> > > EPRs, especially considering the potential service migration.
> >
> > I think that AbstractName is certainly one approach to solving this
> > problem.  Remember that ReferenceParameters are used to provide
information
> > to the RECEIVER(wsa:to) to disambiguate the resource for dispatch.
>
> I am confused by this - according to the WS-Addressing working
> group ReferenceParameters are designed to support stateful
> interactions (similar to the use of cookies with HTTP) -
> not to identify resources. They CAN be used to identify resources
> but this is not best practice according to the working group.

Ok, so what is confusing you is the use of 'disambiguate the resource for
dispatch'.
So, change that sentence to:
Remember that ReferenceParameters are used to provide required information
to the RECEIVER(wsa:to) interaction.

And the spec ultimately wound up saying:
[reference parameters] : xs:any (0..unbounded).
      A reference may contain a number of individual parameters that are
      associated with the endpoint to facilitate a particular interaction.
      Reference parameters are namespace-qualified element information
      items that are required to properly interact with the endpoint.
      Reference parameters are provided by the issuer of the endpoint
      reference and are assumed to be opaque to other users of an endpoint
      refernce. The binding of reference parameters to messages depends
      upon the protocol binding used to interact with the endpoint - Web
      Services Addressing 1.0 - SOAP Binding[WS-Addressing-SOAP] describes
      the default binding for the SOAP protocol.

and additionally says:

2.3 Endpoint Reference Comparison

This specification provides no concept of endpoint identity and therefore
does not provide any mechanism to determine equality or inequality of EPRs
and does not specify the consequences of their equality or inequality.
However, note that it is possible for other specifications to provide a
comparison function that is applicable within a limited scope.