[ogsa-wg] BES query

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 31 08:15:19 CDT 2005

owner-ogsa-wg at ggf.org wrote on 08/31/2005 12:11:00 AM:

> 2-cents:  It is my understanding that EPRs can't by themselves be
> guaranteed to be unique or that bit-wise comparisons are unreliable
> considering canonicalization and embedded metadata issues.

That is correct

>If so,
> then a unique AbstractName is needed in order to accurately resolve
> EPRs, especially considering the potential service migration.

I think that AbstractName is certainly one approach to solving this
problem.  Remember that ReferenceParameters are used to provide information
to the RECEIVER(wsa:to) to disambiguate the resource for dispatch.
Obviously, in order for the refParams to be useful they should be
unique (in some context).  The wsa:to provides the context in this
case.  I can envision lots of service migration scenarios that could
take advantage of the above fact and would ensure that the ResolverEPR
was correctly informed of the migration (change in wsa:to URI).

> Instead of mandating, perhaps the speficiations can recommended the
> use of WS-Naming?  Specifications could still accept EPRs and
> implementations can check them for the presence of an AbstractName
> and take advantage of it if available (internal hash table, etc).

Agree with this statement.  In essence, if a service requires the
ws-naming claim it can check for it...