[ogsa-wg] GGF-DMTF Work Register

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 2 07:21:14 CDT 2005

owner-ogsa-wg at ggf.org wrote on 08/02/2005 06:49:20 AM:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thank you very much for your Milestone proposal.
> I will make no objection about this proposal but have some
> reservations.
>
> Even though CIM is the most promising and widely adopted resource model
> in the world, OGSA-WG is still discussing our strategic direction of
> resource modeling. Reasonable work process is something like:
>
> (1) Determine the strategic direction including resource model
>      selection (CIM?).
> (2) List up and prioritize requirements on models.
> (3) Ask external experts to fulfill each requirement.

Question (1) is moot given that we are talking specifically about
the GGF-DMTF Work Register.
Question (2) is irrelevant to the additional milestone since both the
OGSA-D milestone and the addtional milestone are 'common' mapping
requirements which are orthogonal to specific resource modeling
requirements
(eg. changes/additions/deletions of properties, operations, associations or
classes).
That being said IMO we should be asking external experts (DMTF in this
context) to provide us with these high level constructs.

> Since we will make (3) in parallel with (1) and (2), I see two risks;
>
> (a) We ask DMTF and they make it on time (Feb. 2006) but we are not
> ready to utilize them at that time or end up using only small part of
> their work, or
> (b) We ask DMTF and they ask us back which is the highest priority
> item since our request is broad range. But we cannot answer until
> we sort out (1) and (2).

On point (a) I suspect anyone using CIM uses only a small part of it so
I think that one is ok.  On point (b) I would suggest that the OGSA-D
milestone is more time critical; so I would prioritize that above this
additional work.  As I pointed out above this is 'common' mapping work
so I do not believe it is tied at all to the resource modeling work.

> So, I propose not to specify deadline request for this milestone from
> us. Instead Let DMTF say when they might be ready with this work item.
> Then OGSA and DMTF discuss priority together.

I think a milestone without a date will be ignored.  Further I am fairly
certain that the DMTF TC will request a date.

> And specific question/comment follows;
>
> >    The DMTF will define and publicize abstract wsdl:portType for
> >    classes inthe CIM model (February 2006)
>
> Do you ask all of CIM classes (there are tons of them) or small number
> of subset?

We are asking for a common mapping to wsdl

> >             Each 'extrinsic' operation on a CIM class will be modeled
>
> What is 'extrinsic' operation?

Operations that are expressed in the CIM schema on CIM classes

> >             as a wsdl:operation
> >             Properties of the CIM class which are rendered in XML
> >             schema (detailed in previous deliverable) will be
>
> What is "previous deliverable"? Is it wsdl:operation (above line) or
> namespace and XML schema (previous paragraph)?

I was assuming that the OGSA-D XML schema would be logically place
above/before this milestone/deliverable

> >             available throughthe wsdl:types section
> >    It is envisioned that some set of qualifiers will be mapped to xml
> >    schema and wsdl constructs.  The specifics of this mapping are
> >    viewed as explicitly part of the work to render the model.  As such
> >    GGF has no specific requirements at this time but may have
> >    requirements as the workproduct develops.
> >    The intent of this deliverable is to make available a set of
> >    standard wsdl:portTypes representing the CIM modeled aspect of
> >    classes (extrinsics and properties only).  It is envisioned that
> >    these portTypes will be mixed in with additional capabilities from
> >    Grid disciplines to support Basic Execution Services, Data
> >    Virtualization and other areas as they are developed.
>
> p.s.
> Since WS-CIM call this week is canceled, we have time to think it over.

This is not a discussion for WS-CIM directly.  It is a discussion with the
DMTF TC and they meet today.  Further, any work register requires DMTF
board approval and the board meets on 8/11.  After that our next board
meeting is in September.

Tom