[ogsa-wg] GGF-DMTF Work Register

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Tue Aug 2 05:49:20 CDT 2005

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your Milestone proposal.
I will make no objection about this proposal but have some
reservations.

Even though CIM is the most promising and widely adopted resource model
in the world, OGSA-WG is still discussing our strategic direction of
resource modeling. Reasonable work process is something like:

(1) Determine the strategic direction including resource model
     selection (CIM?).
(2) List up and prioritize requirements on models.
(3) Ask external experts to fulfill each requirement.

Since we will make (3) in parallel with (1) and (2), I see two risks;

(a) We ask DMTF and they make it on time (Feb. 2006) but we are not
ready to utilize them at that time or end up using only small part of
their work, or
(b) We ask DMTF and they ask us back which is the highest priority
item since our request is broad range. But we cannot answer until
we sort out (1) and (2).

So, I propose not to specify deadline request for this milestone from
us. Instead Let DMTF say when they might be ready with this work item.
Then OGSA and DMTF discuss priority together.

And specific question/comment follows;

>    The DMTF will define and publicize abstract wsdl:portType for
>    classes inthe CIM model (February 2006)

Do you ask all of CIM classes (there are tons of them) or small number
of subset?

>             Each 'extrinsic' operation on a CIM class will be modeled

What is 'extrinsic' operation?

>             as a wsdl:operation
>             Properties of the CIM class which are rendered in XML
>             schema (detailed in previous deliverable) will be

What is "previous deliverable"? Is it wsdl:operation (above line) or
namespace and XML schema (previous paragraph)?

>             available throughthe wsdl:types section
>    It is envisioned that some set of qualifiers will be mapped to xml
>    schema and wsdl constructs.  The specifics of this mapping are
>    viewed as explicitly part of the work to render the model.  As such
>    GGF has no specific requirements at this time but may have
>    requirements as the workproduct develops.
>    The intent of this deliverable is to make available a set of
>    standard wsdl:portTypes representing the CIM modeled aspect of
>    classes (extrinsics and properties only).  It is envisioned that
>    these portTypes will be mixed in with additional capabilities from
>    Grid disciplines to support Basic Execution Services, Data
>    Virtualization and other areas as they are developed.

p.s.
Since WS-CIM call this week is canceled, we have time to think it over.

Thanks,
-----
Hiro Kishimoto