[ogsa-wg] OGSA Evolution Policy Statement Draft 2

David Snelling David.Snelling at UK.Fujitsu.com
Fri Apr 15 04:00:23 CDT 2005

Mario,

On 13 Apr 2005, at 14:01, Mario Antonioletti wrote:

> 	o Would be good to clarify whether profiles only clarify
>           existing standards or wtherer they can change them? I
> 	  would hope only clarify or restrict but do not change.
> 	  Should this be stated explicitly?

This is indeed the case. The Profile Template document outlines this in
detail and follows exactly the WS-I formulation of profiles. There are
a bunch of other details also outlined here as well.

> 	o I worry about the statement that profiles need not be
> 	  consistent with other profiles. This then puts in a
> 	  requirement for meta profiles to clarify
>           interoperability issues between profiles
> 	  and you get into an endless loop. Surely once a
> 	  profile is accepted by the GGF process other profiles
> 	  should be consistent with their predecessors *unless*
> 	  they have good reason not to do so. People need to
> 	  talk to each other to make sure profiles interoperate
> 	  at some level.

This is the fine line we are trying to tread. Clearly, the potential
for conflicting profiles is a danger to interoperability. However, in
order to foster continued innovation, we have not enforced a notion
that all subsequent profiles be consistent with those already published
(the best solutions might come later).

Therefore, the value of consistent profiles verse the value of a new
one etc. will be addressed in the internal OGSA review process and then
again in the public comment period. I think we can make it work, but we
do see your point and have discussed it at length.

> Also, one typo on page 2 end of first paragraph "later"->"latter",

Thanks.