[ogsa-wg] RE: Modeling State: Technical Questions

Fred Maciel fred-m at crl.hitachi.co.jp
Thu Apr 7 12:59:58 CDT 2005

Hi,

> In order to support _basic_ execution services, I think we should focus on
> the fundamental operations required to meet most use cases (which I
believe
> is control of one job at a time).
>
> As we get some implementation experience, I believe we'll see the need for
> additional interfaces which can provide operations on groups of jobs. This
> might be something like one call which gives me a handle to a group of
jobs
> (perhaps generated from a list of resource IDs, or from some kind of
query)
> and then the "simple" operation can be used to operate on this job group.

... which is pretty much what I said in my previous e-mail, just in concrete
terms and with priorities in place. Needless to say, I totally agree. As
another example of a "simple" operation: how many of the zillion jobs in my
array job executed successfully, had errors, are executing, and are still in
the queue?

(Is it true to say that Globus is more HPC oriented (say, fewer bigger
jobs), and Platform stuff is more array job oriented (say, submit
half-a-million jobs at once), and this explains the difference in opinion
between Ian and Chris? :-)

By the way: In the _basic_ execution services, are we modeling one single
job, or a job queue also? Or that's not decided yet? (From the question you
already guessed I'm thinking about resource models, right? :-).

Regards,

Fred Maciel.