[ogsa-wg] RE: Modeling State: Technical Questions

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Wed Apr 6 06:14:20 CDT 2005

I have this theory, it's #2 of my "silly but possibly valid theories":-

	Any technology other than an RDBMS that implements a SELECT statement
is inherently over-complex

I would cite SLPv2 and that EJB query language [1] as two examples to
back up my claim, with UDDI lurking nearby. I also note that it is badly
escaped SQL select statements that are a primary attack point into
custom HTTP apps, and even more often, custom SOAP endpoints [2]. There
is something about the "let's do a SELECT" operation that gets people
excited, but you soon end up with something that is hard to implement,
test and interop test against, or you have to hand it off to a real DB
underneath. Yes, bits of XPath fall in to this category too.

If we are going to have select statements, at least be rigorous about
requiring quotes around strings, for security reasons:

“where (jobid = 'urn:guid:364') or (jobid = 'urn:guid:401')”

-steve

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/EJBQL5.html
[2] http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/security.html