[ogsa-wg] Naming: ARK identifiers?

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 07:27:02 CST 2004

For the naming team,

Have you looked at the ARK naming scheme from J Kunze?  There is an IETF
draft describing this:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kunze-ark-08.txt.

ARK identifiers have the form [http://NMAH/]ark:/NAAN/Name.  The
NAAN/Name part seems very similar to the Handle system.  The optional
NMAH part defines a service that can resolve the name.  The ARK scheme
proposes that naming authorities commit to (and make explicit) a policy
for the persistence of the object.

By the way, what is it about the Handle system that doesn't satisfy the
uniqueness property (c.f. the comparison spreadsheet)?

Dave.