[ogsa-wg] Additional agenda item for naming service call

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 29 01:35:29 CST 2004

Hi Andrew,

I talked to Osamu Tatebe, one of GFS-WG co-chair, and we'd like to
ask you to add "Resource Namespace Service (RNS)" discussion to
upcoming name service call on Monday (Nov. 29). Osamu and possibly
the other GFS-WG co-chairs will join the call.

This was also suggested at the last Data Design Team call on Nov. 23th.
> GFS were interested in the relationship with the naming design team
> and OASIS activity.  We suggested they join the naming design team
> calls.  Mark will forward details of call.

Given that
(a) Naming service design team is completing naming requirement
     document
(b) GFS-WG has RNS spec draft
(c) Andrew and Mark (UVa) has another "Context Space (CS)" spec,
I think it's worth discussing the following issues;

(Q1) Does GFS-WG use the same taxonomy / terms that the Naming
       service design team is using?
(Q2) Does RNS spec fulfill all the requirements that are stated in
       the requirement document by naming service design team?
       Does it add any new requirements?
(Q3) Should RNS and CS be merged before long or should data design team
      choose one of them?
(Q4) Given that WS-naming spec will be developed by new OASIS-TC,
       should GFS-WG re-factore their RNS spec as an extension of this
       new WS-naming spec?
(Q5) Does RNS have grid bias?

Related material:
(a) Requirement document by naming service design team
- Naming in Distributed Systems (v.02)
http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/ogsa-naming/en/3

- Naming service call minutes:
 http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/naming-minutes-20040830/en/1
 http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/naming-minutes-20041101/en/1
 http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/naming-minutes-20041115/en/1

(b) GFS-WG has RNS spec draft
Resource Namespace Service Specification
https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/gfs-wg/document/Resource_Namespace_Service_
-_Specification/en/1

- Data service call minutes:
 http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/Minutes_27th_October_2004/en/1
 http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/Minutes_2nd_November_2004/en/1
 http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/Minutes_16th_November_2004/en/1
 http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/Minutes_23rd_November_2004/en/1

(c) Andrew and Mark (UVa) has another "Context Space (CS)" spec,
http://tinyurl.com/5fxfd/DRAFT-GridLib-High-Level-Reference/en/1