[ogsa-naming-wg] Re: GGF/OGSA standards for hierarchical namespaces

Gregory Newby newby at arsc.edu
Fri Mar 31 13:50:40 CST 2006

It's not too late to schedule time at GGF17 for a cross-group
meeting.  (Well, it's a little too late...but not completely
unreasonable to attempt.)
  -- Greg

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:17:54AM -0800, Allen Luniewski wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for the very thoughtful note!  A few comments.
>
> I agree with you that the current situation is, to put it mildly, not
> acceptable.  We need to move to a position where the community agrees on a
> single means for creating a hierarchy of pointers to resources (a
> directory structure in Unix-speak).  Clearly one aspect of this is that
> RNS and WS-Directory need to reconciled into a single proposal. Resolution
> sooner rather than later is clearly in the best interests of the various
> WGs who depend upon directories (including OGSA Data which I share
> responsibility for).
>
> You mention a couple of specific technical issues.  A few comments on
> those:
>         1. I go back and forth on attributes in the directory system.
> Since these are almost certainly cached from the resources, today I am
> inclined to say that
>                 attributes should not be part of the directory system. Ask
> me tomorrow, and I may have the other answer :-)  But today, I would leave
> them out
>                 of the base specification for simplicity but consider an
> extension that included attributes if that were felt to be vital.
>         2. Dave Berry's suggestion to separate out the iterator component
> is a good one.  There are going to be many places in the overall grid
> standards
>                 effort where an iterator-like structure will be needed.
> Standardizing this seems like a proper goal for GGF.  If that is accepted
> then using it
>                 in a directory service seems quite natural.
>
> As for moving forward, I think that we need to see how this thread plays
> out.  My instincts, however, are that getting the interested parties in a
> room for a few hours would be the most effective way to drive this to an
> early resolution.
>
> Allen Luniewski
> IBM Information Management Division
> San Jose, California
>

> Christopher Jordan <ctjordan at sdsc.edu>
> 03/27/2006 05:28 PM

> Osamu Tatebe <o.tatebe at aist.go.jp>
> cc
> Arun Jagatheesan <arun at sdsc.edu>, Manuel Pereira
> <mpereira at almaden.ibm.com>, Andrew Grimshaw <grimshaw at cs.virginia.edu>,
> Mark Morgan <mmm2a at virginia.edu>, Dave Berry <daveb at nesc.ac.uk>, Allen
> Luniewski <luniew at almaden.ibm.com>, Christopher Jordan
> <ctjordan at sdsc.edu>, Hiro Kishimoto <hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com>, Ian
> Foster <foster at mcs.anl.gov>, Gregory Newby <newby at arsc.edu>,
> gfs-wg at ggf.org, ogsa-naming-wg at ggf.org
> Subject
> GGF/OGSA standards for hierarchical namespaces

> All,
>
> Forgive the wide distribution on this e-mail, but this issue seems to
> be to be both extraordinarily important to the future of GGF/OGSA
> standards efforts and also in a state of either limbo or paralysis.
> [...]

Dr. Gregory Newby, Chief Scientist (Acting), Arctic Region Supercomputing Ctr
Univ of Alaska Fairbanks-909 Koyukuk Dr-PO Box 756020-Fairbanks-AK 99775-6020
e: newby AT arsc.edu v: 907-450-8663 f: 907-450-8603 w: www.arsc.edu/~newby