[ogsa-hpcp-wg] proposed ActivityCredential and DataStaging extensions for HPC Profile

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 19 09:56:03 CDT 2007

A few comments on the draft:

1.       Rename the document to File Staging as opposed to Data Staging. We are explicit about files throughout the document and do not address tructured data.

2.       FileSystemName - I'd vote for ignoring it if set without generating faults. If we are going to honour it then we have to support the JSDL FileSystem model which would add to the complexity IMHO.

3.       FileName - this is the local relative filename or directory for recursive copying. I think this should be relative to the users HOME directory (or equivalent) or the WorkingDirectory element of HPCA if specified. Not sure if that is mentioned anywhere.

4.       CreationFlag - Where in the JSDL spec does it mention the 'dontOverwrite' error? This JSDL definition seems OK to me.

5.       Staging Schedule - Supporting this exposes too much of the cluster architecture IMHO. As it's a request and can be ignored I would ignore it!

6.       File Staging failure. Good questions. Failure during staging in I would suggest - Once any failure occurs stop any other transfers, cleanup all files, and go to failure state before the job starts. On stageout - attempt ALL stage out activities, do not execute any delete on termination of failed file transfers, go to failed state reporting failed transfers once all transfers have been attempted.

7.       Security. One thing to consider (we've had many discussion in DMI-WG about this - you might want to look at the current spec draft) is what to do if different credentials are needed to get different files. Can the activity credential specify multiple tokens? How could I associate these tokens with a particular file source/target action? My reading of the activity credential profile is that there is no way to associate the (single?) credential with a particular action. I may need one credential to start the job, another to get my files, and a third to put the files after job execution.

Some things to discuss at the next call.

Steven