[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Proposed Changes to Data Staging specification

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Fri Nov 30 08:57:22 CST 2007

On 29/11/07 09:30, "Glenn Wasson" <wasson at virginia.edu> wrote:

> I am in the process of making these modifications, but I had a few
> clarification questions.
>
> For #2, do we want to say that a compliant system must not support
> <FileSystemName> or do we just want to say that the File Staging Profile
> does not mandate support for this?

I vote for the latter.

> For 4a, do we want to say that the contents of this <Credential> element is
> an <xsd:any> or a WS-Security Token? The former is more extensible, but that
> later may be sufficient for our purposes here.

Since this is a profile (and not a specification that might need to evolve),
I think it's better to describe the credential type. We all support
WS-Security anyway, so I think we'd get more in the way of interop by
mandating the credential "type". My opinion.

> For 4b, does this belong in the File Staging Profile? Seems like something
> that should be added to the Basic Profile (or some other extension).

What I worry about is that we describe a generic credential (which is, in a
sense already done in WS-Security) but we don't describe how to apply it to
the different JSDL sections. It's fairly easy to understand what it means to
use a credential in the context of a file staging operation, but what does
it mean to attach the credential to the Application element, or in the
JobIdentification element. Maybe we should go ahead and describe the usage
of WS-Security tokens in the DataStaging elements, and then discuss more use
cases for other JSDL sections.

-- Chris