[ogsa-hpcp-wg] plans for the HPC Profile WG session at OGF19, Wed, 2-3:30pm

Marty Humphrey humphrey at cs.virginia.edu
Thu Jan 25 17:06:22 CST 2007

Folks,

Here's what has happened since the Supercomputing HPC Profile Interop Demo,
and here's what we plan to discuss at the HPC Profile WG session on Wed at
OGF 19.

On 11/29, we had a discussion of the various changes to the BES spec and the
HPC Basic profile as a result of the interop demo. I believe that discussion
was very productive, and continued on 12/6 as well. On 12/15, we had a nice
discussion about security - the results of which have been reflected in the
most recent version of the doc. Essentially, these discussions were great in
that I remember at the time(mid Dec) that we had a lot of work to do, but
that the path was reasonably clear for the next month (mid Dec to mid Jan).
Essentially, we had some spec-revisions to do and we had to "clean up" the
WSDL and XSD. I knew this would take some time, but we had consensus on what
needed to be done.

I am very happy to announce that we have made the changes. On Wed of this
week, Chris Smith uploaded a new version of the BES spec to GridForge.
Tomorrow, Chris will upload a new version of the HPC Profile. I think this
is excellent progress, and Chris in particular should be commended!!

As such, here is the proposed agenda for the OGF19 HPC Profile session (Wed,
2pm-3:30, "Sunflower room"):

2 - 2:45                  Overview of the HPC Basic Profile

2:45 - 3:00            Chris Smith will present his ideas on an Extension

3:00 - 3:30           General discussion. If time permits, Marty Humphrey
will present his ideas on a security Extension. We will in identify the
possible Extensions that have been identified to date, have a group
discussion to prioritize these Extensions, and in general discuss the next
steps for the WG.

Please send me email if there are specific topics that you want to discuss
in this session - we have flexibility to re-arrange the schedule as
necessary.

*** VERY IMPORTANT ****): We made tremendous progress as a group in the prep
for the SC 2006 demo, and the lessons we learned have been reflected in the
new versions of the specs (BES and HPC Basic Profile). So, the authors of
the HPC Basic Profile plan to issue a "Last Call" to the HPC Profile WG at
the end of this HPC Profile WG session at OGF19. In other words, the HPC
Basic Profile has been through a rigorous test via SC2006, and we're very
happy with it , and we're eager to get final comments from the WG at this
session (we believe that the current draft reflects all of the WG's comments
to date). After a sufficient duration has passed since the issue of "Last
Call", we will make changes to improve it based on comments received in this
period, and then put the HPC Basic Profile into public comment in OGF. So
please come prepared for a healthy discussion at OGF19!!!

Thanks,

Marty

Marty Humphrey

Assistant Professor