[ogsa-hpcp-wg] HPCBP Extensions Short-list

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 08:10:44 CST 2007

Bill Nitzberg wrote:
> I had occasion to have coffee with Chris Smith today, and we discussed
> what we think would be the most useful near-term extensions to the HPCBP.
[...]
> Kerberos credentials (with Active Directory support)

We've got people here in Manchester who are interested in passing about
Kerberos credentials so they can access AFS from their jobs. (I don't
need it for what I do, but they do.)

> Application inventory (a simple list of available applications, maybe
> leveraging the Glue Scheme work)

As far as I know, they don't say anything much about the actual list of
available applications. Or rather they do, but they don't describe any
interoperable basis for actual naming of applications: the names are
just arbitrary strings in the GLUE model. Without some kind of catalog
of standard names, it'll be really hard to make progress on interop on
the basis of GLUE here (except within restricted domains where such
catalogs are unnecessary).

> Machine inventory (a list of hardware: hosts, cpus, memory, etc, as well
> as what’s in use and what’s free; maybe also leveraging the Glue Scheme)

This is strongly in the scope of GLUE; if they can't do it, they need to
know soon! :-)

> Resource usage data (for simple accounting and status reporting)

Sounds like you want to use/profile the Usage Record. FWIW, I've had
enhanced job execution engines in the past which exposed a UR as a
property of the job resource once the job completed (so that
distribution of the record could be done via WS-Notification, which I
had easily to hand at the time). As far as I could see, it worked quite
reasonably.

> Anyone else interested in any of these areas?  Anyone interested enough
> to work on drafting an extension?

I can shove my oar in in quite a few places. :-)

Donal.