[ogsa-hpcp-wg] wsdl/xsd modifications for BES v26

Glenn Wasson wasson at virginia.edu
Fri Sep 29 04:02:04 CDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Lane [mailto:lane at mcs.anl.gov]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:05 PM
To: Glenn Wasson
Cc: ogsa-hpcp-wg at ggf.org; ogsa-bes-wg at ogf.org
Subject: Re: [ogsa-hpcp-wg] wsdl/xsd modifications for BES v26

>> Summary of changes:
>> 1. bes-factory wsdl (appendix E) and bes-factory xsd (appendix B)
>> both have
>>
>>    <xsd:schema> elements with the same target namespace
>>      - moved schema types from bes-factory.wsdl to bes-factory.xsd
>
>I disagree with this change. Unless we think someone will need to
>import the message types, they aren't relevant anywhere except within
>the WSDL and should remain there.
>>      - changed <schema> element in bes-factory.wsdl to only import
>> bes-
>>        factory.xsd (other imports seemed to create problems because
>> the same
>>
>>        schemas were also imported in the bes-factory.xsd file)
>>      - changed target namespace of <xsd:schema> element in bes-
>> factory.wsdl
>>        to http://schemas.ggf.org/bes/2006/08/bes-factory/WSDL
>> (added the
>>        /WSDL)
>>      - This doesn't effect anything since no types are defined in
>> the bes-
>>        factory.wsdl's <xsd:schema>, but was necessary to prevent the
>>        namespace collision
>
>This should be an xsd:include, then, not an xsd:import:
>
><xsd:include schemaLocation="bes-factory.xsd"/>
>
>No need to hack a namespace into the WSDL's schema section...

I've never been able to get this to work in my tooling, but that's ok. We
can use your version.

>> 2. the operation "ResponseType" elements are multiply defined
>>      - both the wsdl and xsd define <xsd:element>s for, for example,
>>        CreateActivityResponse (the definitions differ only in the
>> name of an
>>
>>        outer element wrapper)
>>      - kept the definition with the outer element wrapper around
>> the type
>>        (i.e. <Response> as the outer element)
>
>The types weren't the same at all. One set was the single-activity
>type which is then referenced in the multi-activity type that is
>actually used in the BES factory operation messages.

Ah, yes, typo on my part. It is not the "ResponseType"s which were multiply
defined, it is the "Response"s. So, CreateActivityResponseType was defined
once, but CreateActivityResponse was defined twice. While I understand what
you are saying, my tooling cannot handle the fact that (in the old wsdl/xsd)
both the xsd and the wsdl define an <element> with the same qname. Even if
other tooling can do this, I don't think it is a good idea.

I also noticed that your version changes "GetAttributesDocument" to
"GetFactoryAttributesDocument". Is this a post-v26 change to the WSDL? I'm
fine with this operation name, it just wasn't in v26.

Glenn