[ogsa-hpcp-wg] wsdl/xsd modifications for BES v26

Peter Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 28 22:05:25 CDT 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 10:22 AM, Glenn Wasson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	As part of the HPC Profile interop work, I have been trying to
> process the BES v26 WSDL through my tooling (Microsoft's wsdl.exe).
> I have
> found a number of problems with the BES-Factory wsdl and xsd that
> appears in
> the appendix of the BES document. Some of these issues are simple
> typos and
> some require re-formulations of the wsdl/xsd in order to work with the
> tooling. I have attached modified versions of both the wsdl and xsd
> for
> bes-factory and, below, I have provided a summary of the changes. I
> contend
> that these changes (apart from fixing typos) don't actually change the
> defined interface/data types - they are merely an alternate way of
> expressing the same ideas using wsdl/xsd that (at least my) tooling
> can
> handle.
>
> I am interested in:
> a) comments on this reformulation
> b) whether anyone else, who is using different tools, has had
> similar (or
>    different) issues with the wsdl/xsd in the BES v26 appendix
> c) whether anyone using different tools encounters issues
> processing the
>    attached wsdl/xsd
> d) whether people participating in the HPCP interop work are
> willing to use
>    the attached wsdl/xsd
>
> Glenn
>

> Summary of changes:
> 1. bes-factory wsdl (appendix E) and bes-factory xsd (appendix B)
> both have
>
>    <xsd:schema> elements with the same target namespace
>      - moved schema types from bes-factory.wsdl to bes-factory.xsd

I disagree with this change. Unless we think someone will need to
import the message types, they aren't relevant anywhere except within
the WSDL and should remain there.

>      - changed <schema> element in bes-factory.wsdl to only import
> bes-
>        factory.xsd (other imports seemed to create problems because
> the same
>
>        schemas were also imported in the bes-factory.xsd file)
>      - changed target namespace of <xsd:schema> element in bes-
> factory.wsdl
>        to http://schemas.ggf.org/bes/2006/08/bes-factory/WSDL
> (added the
>        /WSDL)
>      - This doesn't effect anything since no types are defined in
> the bes-
>        factory.wsdl's <xsd:schema>, but was necessary to prevent the
>        namespace collision

This should be an xsd:include, then, not an xsd:import:

<xsd:include schemaLocation="bes-factory.xsd"/>

No need to hack a namespace into the WSDL's schema section...

> 2. the operation "ResponseType" elements are multiply defined
>      - both the wsdl and xsd define <xsd:element>s for, for example,
>        CreateActivityResponse (the definitions differ only in the
> name of an
>
>        outer element wrapper)
>      - kept the definition with the outer element wrapper around
> the type
>        (i.e. <Response> as the outer element)

The types weren't the same at all. One set was the single-activity
type which is then referenced in the multi-activity type that is
actually used in the BES factory operation messages.

>      - moved this definition to bes-factory.xsd and simply
> reference it from
>
>        bes-factory.wsdl
> 3. typos in the types of the response elements for several operations
>      - GetActivityStatusesResponse, TerminateActivitiesResponse,
>        GetActivityDocumentsResponse should be of types
>        GetActivityStatusesResponseType,
> TerminateActivitiesResponseType,
>        GetActivityDocumentsResponseType respectively
> 4. added minOccurs and maxOccurs to the GetAttributesDocument related
>    classes
>      - spec seems undecided here

I fixed the things I commented on above and am attaching new versions
of these two files. I've also validated them with the GT tooling.

Peter