[ogsa-hpcp-wg] MS HPCBasicProfile Web Service

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 16 12:41:44 CDT 2006

Christopher Smith wrote:
> On 16/10/06 08:38, "Peter G. Lane" <lane at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>>> By the way ... it's not anonymous https ... we are authenticating the server
>>> with SSL.
>> Right, "https" means http over SSL. "Anonymous" means anonymous SSL
>> authentication. What am I missing?
>>
> Sorry ... anonymous to me mean http over SSL so there is an encrypted
> connection but with no authentication using SSL. We're requiring connecting
> to a server that has a proper certificate, so the server is authenticated
> via SSL. The client is authenticated using the WS-Security Username Token.

I think we're on the same page. I'm probably just not using terminology properly. Also, the
WS-Security Username Token stuff is in the SOAP message, so I wasn't considering it since it isn't
part of the transport protocol.

At any rate, the main point is that we don't need to discover the transport binding since we agreed
on this already. Yes?

Peter