[ogsa-bes-wg] Re: [ogsa-hpcp-wg] Minor BES issue

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 30 20:59:33 CDT 2006

Hi;

A question to address is what the interpretation is of having an operation request receive only a subset of response elements in its reply.  Consider TerminateActivities: what are the failure semantics of having it succeed (i.e. be successfully applied) to only a subset of activities?  Presumably the client wants back a vector of return information that describes exactly what happened to each activity; i.e. they will want a vector that contains either a success or a fault element for each activity that was listed in the input vector rather than a vector containing just the success elements or just the failure elements.  For GetActivityStatus and GetJSDLDocuments one might argue that it's OK to get back information about a subset of requested activities.  But I would expect that clients would still want to receive a failure element back explaining what happened for each activity for which information could not be returned.

Thus, it seems to me that in all cases clients will want to receive back a vector response of the same length as the input vector.  In particular, I would advocate that they should expect one of the following responses back:

*        A fault response if the operation as a whole could not be handled - e.g. if the client is not authorized to make the request.

*        A response that consists of an info-set that contains a vector of elements, where the number of elements equals the number of activities specified in the input vector argument to the operation request.  Each element of the vector should be either a "success" element or a fault response element.  Which input vector element the response element refers to is unambiguously determined by the EPR returned in the response element (as pointed out by Peter).  An interesting question is whether the EPR field is really needed since vector input arguments are only available for operations on existing activities and one could request that the vector order of the response message correspond to the vector order of the request message.  If we were to go down this path then we could simplify the schema of the response messages.

If BES were to take the approach outlined above then the HPC Profile specification would contain a restriction that simply says that HPC Profile-compliant services MUST support input vectors of length 1 and MAY support vector lengths greater than 1 or MAY return an overall fault response of not-implemented for vector lengths greater than 1.

Thoughts?

Marvin.