[ogsa-hpcp-wg] Minor BES issue

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 30 10:27:18 CDT 2006

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> An issue came up recently during discussions in the HPC Profile WG, and
> that was that the BES spec should require that the lengths of the input
> vectors and output vectors in the operations GetActivitiesStatus,
> TerminateActivities and GetJSDLDocuments should/must be the same length
> (assuming no faults, naturally). Otherwise the responses might be a
> subset of the expected ones. Maybe there are some other restrictions
> that ought to be imposed (same order, referring to the same things thatt
> the input referred to, etc.) but it was the length issue that came up
> (since that's the aspect that's going to be profiled). We agreed that
> this sort of restriction belongs in the base BES spec though; it's too
> fundamental to belong in the Profile.

The schema types for the output vector elements have EPR fields that associate each element with an
input vector element. So it doesn't really matter if the response is a subset of the expected set or
is out of order. I'm assuming that this is the point of including the EPR fields. Is there a more
fundamental reason for pushing for such a restriction? I don't have a strong opinion either way. I'm
just curious about how this is interpreted as "bad".

Peter