[ogsa-dmi-wg] Moving DMI stuff forward

Meredith, DJ (David) david.meredith at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 10:24:16 CDT 2009

Hi folks,

(apologies if you have already received this, I seem to be having
trouble posting to the list).

A bit more material in preparation for Mondays phone meeting, items 1)
and 2).

1)  Catering for moving of multiple source/sinks within a single atomic
operation.

Basically, an important requirement for us is to define a bulk data
transfer that could accommodate the transfer of multiple files/dirs
within a single atomic operation. We realize that the way to do this in
the DMI world is probably to instantiate a number of DTI instances,
where each instance caters for a single source DEPR and an associated
sink DEPR. However, ideally we would like to be able to define multiple
transfers in a single atomic request, and importantly, be able to define
this within a single xml doc.

As Gerson has shown in his previous email, we have also looked at the
JSDL HPC file staging spec that facilitates the definition of multiple
DataStaging elements (each containing a srcURI and an associated
targetURI and much like DMI, embeds required credentials). At present
however, neither JSDL File staging or DMI completely satisfy our
requirements hence the current JSDL-DMI hybrid (
http://code.google.com/p/dtsproject/source/browse/trunk/dts-jaxb/src/mai
n/resources/minx-dts.xsd). Of course, ideally we would prefer to adopt a
spec.

We were wondering if something like the following would be considered
'in-scope' / suitable for DMI ? (please see the schema and sample
document in the attached examples.zip).  The attached schema only adds
the following extra element and complex type to the dmi-messages.xsd
(below). In doing this, it becomes possible to wrap multiple
source-and-sink DEPR combinations within the same doc.

       Thus, rather than define a single source and sink such as:

           GetDataTransferInstance( [source DEPR], [sink DEPR],
[transfer requirements] );

       Maybe define:

           GetDataTransferInstance(
[GetWrappedDataTransferInstanceRequestMessage] );

  <!--

Proposed additional Request Message element for moving multiple
files/dirs in one atomic unit:

  -->

  <element name="GetWrappedDataTransferInstanceRequestMessage"
type="dmi-plain:GetWrappedDataTransferInstanceRequestType"/>

  <complexType name="GetWrappedDataTransferInstanceRequestType">

    <sequence>

      <element name="WrappedSourceSinkDEPR"
type="dmi-plain:GetDataTransferInstanceRequestType" minOccurs="1"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

    </sequence>

  </complexType>

2) xsd:any extension points

Would the working group also consider the addition of some xsd:any
extension points within the dmi.xsd ? (e.g. within the DataType complex
type). This is necessary so that we can define extra connection
properties such as the MCATZone and MdasDomain for SRB /iRODS. This is
also shown in the attached example. I think there a some other items but
I forget.

Cheers,

Dave