[ogsa-dmi-wg] Potential problem

Mario Antonioletti mario at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 10:04:55 CST 2007

Hi,
    Last week we were discussing comments to the OGSA Data document and
something came up that is pertinent to DMI (Alle pitch in).

Basically, suppose that the source and sink publish a set of supported
transport protocols. Then, if client wants to effect a transfer
between the source and sink, they would talk to a DTF. The DTF would
negotiate a protocol supported at both ends and create a DTI to manage
the transfer for the user. The issue is that there may be other
factors that preclude that transfer from taking place - for instance
as a simple example, if active ftp was chosen as the protocol of
choice a firewall could stop this transfer from successfully
completing. The DTI would not be able to communicate this back to the
DTF as the two are logically dissociated. Is there an expectation that
the DTF, would not only protocol match but also test out that the
transfer protocol actually works between source and sink before
creating the DTI? I'm not sure if this is an implementation thing or
whether there is a deeper potential problem here - thoughts?

Mario