[OGSA-D-WG] Fw: Definition of data consistency

Allen Luniewski luniew at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 10 10:47:37 CDT 2007

Dave,

I like your enhancements.  I vote for moving forward with this new
definition.

Allen Luniewski
IBM Cross Brand Services
IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory
555 Bailey Ave.
San Jose, CA 95141

408-463-2255
408-930-1844 (mobile)

             "Dave Berry"
             <daveb at nesc.ac.uk
                                       Allen Luniewski/Almaden/IBM at IBMUS,
             10/10/2007 01:47          <ogsa-d-wg at ggf.org>
                                       "Treadwell, Jem"
                                       <jem.treadwell at hp.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [OGSA-D-WG] Fw:  Definition of
                                       data consistency

I like this approach.

Is it worth embellishing it as follows:

Data consistency: An instance of data in one resource in a distributed
system is said to be “consistent” with one or more other instances of that
data elsewhere in the system if it is up-to-date with respect to those
instances.

In a given system a policy may define the rules for determining the extent
to which data is up-to-date, and for maintaining that degree of
consistency.

The changes are:

paragraph 1 - to talk about different resources in a distributed system
(putting some context on "data instances", which is not a term we define).

paragraph 2 - to introduce the notion of a degree of consistency rather
than simply consistent/inconsistent.

I don't feel strongly about either of these - what do others think?

Dave.