[OGSA-D-WG] Fw: Definition of data consistency

Dave Berry daveb at nesc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 03:47:09 CDT 2007

I like this approach.

Is it worth embellishing it as follows:

Data consistency: An instance of data in one resource in a distributed
system is said to be "consistent" with one or more other instances of
that data elsewhere in the system if it is up-to-date with respect to
those instances.

In a given system a policy may define the rules for determining the
extent to which data is up-to-date, and for maintaining that degree of
consistency.

The changes are:

paragraph 1 - to talk about different resources in a distributed system
(putting some context on "data instances", which is not a term we
define).

paragraph 2 - to introduce the notion of a degree of consistency rather
than simply consistent/inconsistent.

I don't feel strongly about either of these - what do others think?

Dave.
  _____