[OGSA-BES-WG] [ogsa-hpcp-wg] Unresolved issues in BES from implementation experiences

Steven Newhouse Steven.Newhouse at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 13 00:25:27 CDT 2008

Hi Piotr,

> As I've seen no response, I'll try my best to to sum up the things
> that I consider unresolved:

Thank you again for your comments... most of us were occupied at OGF and the post-meeting catch up.

> 1. I assume that faults can be thrown both directly (when the requests
> concerns a vector of 1 elements or the fault concerns all the elements
> in the vector) and indirectly (in the response body).

That does not seem unreasonable... Any concerns from the XML/WSDL experts? Are there any interoperability issues between SOAP 1.1 and 1.2 - another concern Piotr raised.

> 2. Therefore, I think that WSDL is lacking the following (direct)
> faults:
>
> NotAuthorizedFault for operation GetActivityStatuses
> NotAuthorizedFault for operation TerminateActivities
> NotAuthorizedFault for operation GetActivityDocuments

The updated BES draft on GridForge has these added in. Adding the NotAuthorizedFault into the BES-Management operations also seems to make sense.

> 3. Are the faults CantApplyOperationToCurrentStateFault,
> OperationWillBeAppliedEventuallyFault meant to be used for any of the
> specified calls or are they supposed to be used with BES-Activity?

These are defined on Page 34 of the specification but are not used in any of the operations, but are mentioned in section 4.3 on 'Specialization Fault Response'. At certain times in the spec there was an operation that could attempt to move an activity from one state to another. Hence these faults. That operation has gone and the state changes are driven by the internal activity of the BES and exposed through the state model - and any extensions to it. I don't believe these faults make sense any more...

Comments from anyone?

Steven