[OGSA-BES-WG] Tracker Resolution Descriptions

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 6 14:38:26 CDT 2006

I think we have gotten ourselves a little confused here.

The way I see the issue: this is not a question of WS-Transfer vs. WSRF,
etc.--the point being raised is  (as I initially said):

"He [Peter] advocates (I believe) that we should not include the
GetAttributesDocument operation in BES. Instead, any particular BES should
choose (if they wish) to provide access to attributes via appropriate
operation(s).

  * A WS-Transfer-based BES would use GET
  * A WSRF-based BES would use WS-ResourceProperties
  * A resource-model-free BES might define a GetAttributesDocument operation
  * etc."

The point being that if we have GetAttributesDocument in BES, then anyone
implementing a WS-Transfer-based version of BES will end up with two
operations, Get and GetAttributesDocument, that basically do the same
thing. Similarly for WSRF. Not fatal, but arguably rather inelegant.

Ian.

At 02:26 PM 9/6/2006 -0400, Maguire_Tom at emc.com wrote:
>         micalg=SHA1; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0063_01C6D1C0.5FDDB850"
>
>But the only reason we were resource agnostic was because there was
>conflict.  We didn't choose to be resource agnostic just because it seemed
>like a good idea (did we?).  There certainly was (are) some who argue
>against any resource model (eg. Purely stateless services), vs those who
>would encode some resource identity into an addressing scheme (WS-RF and
>WS-Transfer).  In the end most (all) of this discussion is about whether we
>should encode identity of state in parameters in the body of the request or
>we should encode identity of state in the headers not whether there is state
>or not.
>Personally, I think that WS-Addressing makes all of this pretty moot, but if
>shouting at the wind makes us feel better, feel free....
>
>Tom

>Tom Maguire
>+1(845) 729-4806

ƒ'¿Îá܏ßTî$ñ<Ü„{nDa6g‹WÛÈØ¿¤«€É¨O³Eq!ƒ€ÛÃnw)­

Computation Institute: www.ci.uchicago.edu & www.ci.anl.gov