[ogsa-bes-wg] BES spec

Steven Newhouse s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk
Wed Jun 28 02:58:01 CDT 2006

  > * The extensible state model: this seems a great idea. However, I feel
> concerned that there are difficulties lurking there that we haven't
> discovered yet. Is there any prior work here that we can refer to in
> order to make ourselves (and others) feel more confident in the approach?

This was discussed at the telecon and hopefully reflected in the
tracker. My initial interpretation was 'adhoc' extensibility but
(thankfully IMHO) this could be better described as state model
profiles, i.e. one state model will probably not fit all
implementation/scenarios therefore several defined models should be
profiled. From discussions there should not be that many... but it would
allow implementations to have a defined state model if they offered
suspension, but they could still produce a BES compliant implementation
if they did not and have a defined state model for it.

> * Information model: I certainly think we need an information model. On
> the other hand, I wonder if we might want to think about pulling the
> details out as a "profile." What we have is just what we need for our
> current HPC use cases; on the other hand, if one is modeling say a Java
> container, they might be less appropriate. Thoughts?

The current model in the spec. was felt to enforce/expect too much
homogeneity. Altering it to support vectors of description sets was felt
essential. Alongside that to have a well defined and required minimum
set up then to let communities define additional parameters to be
introduced as extensibility elements. For later standardisation

> * Management operations: we currently have a couple of operations
> ("start/stop accepting requests") that are really container management
> rather than job operations. Could we separate those out in a distinct
> port-type?

In my view they need to go in the spec, and are different from the
generic management activities you might have on a container (i.e. stop
the container). If the are rendered into a different port type... I
don't see an issue - a tracker beckons.

> * I know there was discussion about how to handle single-job vs.
> multi-job operations in a consistent manner, but I don't know how that
> was reconciled.

It hasn't. It has not yet been discussed!

Steven
Dr Steven Newhouse   Mob:+44(0)7920489420  Tel:+44(0)23 80598789
Director, Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute-UK (OMII-UK)
c/o Suite 6005, Faraday Building (B21), Highfield Campus,
Southampton University, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ,  UK