[ogsa-bes-wg] BES spec

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 22 17:11:09 CDT 2006

Hi,

I'd like to do some more on the BES spec. However, I have a few questions
that I want to raise first:

* The extensible state model: this seems a great idea. However, I feel
concerned that there are difficulties lurking there that we haven't
discovered yet. Is there any prior work here that we can refer to in order
to make ourselves (and others) feel more confident in the approach?

* Information model: I certainly think we need an information model. On the
other hand, I wonder if we might want to think about pulling the details
out as a "profile." What we have is just what we need for our current HPC
use cases; on the other hand, if one is modeling say a Java container, they
might be less appropriate. Thoughts?

* Management operations: we currently have a couple of operations
("start/stop accepting requests") that are really container management
rather than job operations. Could we separate those out in a distinct
port-type?

* I know there was discussion about how to handle single-job vs. multi-job
operations in a consistent manner, but I don't know how that was reconciled.

Ian.