[ogsa-bes-wg] Re: [jsdl-wg] Questions and potential changes to JSDL, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jun 16 07:31:26 CDT 2006

Karl Czajkowski wrote:
> What about introducing a disjunctive constraint syntax to allow
> listing of multiple types, and only one needs to match?  This is
> similar to the host matching, where obviously no single host matches
> all the different names... it also seems consistent w/ the use of
> the range-value concept on numeric constraints.

Disjunctions are much more complex to match (and matching those
range-value type instancess against each other isn't pretty, having
written that code) and are going to be correspondingly slower to specify
too. If we can target most of the real traffic with a much simpler
solution, I think we should go for that as a first effort. Given the
projected timescale for the first rev of the HPC profile, that's got to
be the best approach.

Donal (shooting for "good enough" and not "best").