[ogsa-bes-wg] Re: [jsdl-wg] Questions and potential changes to JSDL, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jun 16 05:54:11 CDT 2006

Marvin Theimer wrote:
> [MARVIN] Is there a pragmatic "next step" to take to try to solve this
> dilemma?  If the main problem you see is that GGF will need to define a
> somewhat different document publication process for things like
> subsumption specs then that's at least something that is in our (meaning
> GGF's) control.

The immediate pragmatic step is to say that only exact comparison of
CPU, OS and App types/versions is possible, and to recommend that jobs
leave as much information out as possible. Actually, the same problem
exists with the JSDL Host resource, which should also usually be left
out. It's going to be easy for people to overspecify their requirements,
but since there are going to be use-cases for such highly specified
stuff I can't see it being practical to drop them completely.

Any tackling of the version satisfaction relation is going to be hard
and will take a while to do. As such, it had better be out of scope of
the HPC profile. ;-) It's probably also out of scope of JSDL, and should
be the domain of the core info modelling crowd (once they've stopped
rearranging the syntactic deck-chairs).

Donal.