[ogsa-bes-wg] Re: [jsdl-wg] Questions and potential changes to JSDL, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 03:33:51 CDT 2006

Marvin Theimer wrote:
> For the case I'm focused on -- namely a BES service exposing what it has
> available -- one can argue that the service already knows who the
> requestor is because of standard WS-Security.  So it can choose to
> tailor its answers accordingly if it wants to.

If the BES is being accessed directly by a service that's able to pass
on the requestor identity, that'll work just fine. The complication
comes when there's some kind of info-service as a mediator, and you need
that to make things scale. On the other hand, I suspect that the answers
to that challenge are still a bit too close to being research problems,
and can be ignored (from a standards perspective, but not necessarily an
implementation perspective) for now.

> By-the-way, I'm now thinking that maybe the simplest case for describing
> available resources is actually to specify a very small number of
> aggregate values, such as number of compute nodes that are available,
> rather than specifying an array of jsdl documents.  What do you think?

Sounds fair enough to me. :-)

Donal.