[ogsa-bes-wg] Attempted distillation of "Questionsandpotential changes to BES, as seen from HPC Profile point-of-view"

Peter G. Lane lane at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 17 10:39:15 CDT 2006

Marvin Theimer wrote:
> So to summarize...
>

> ----------------
>
> There are four implementation options that should be supported by the
>
> spec for obtaining public state data:
>

> 1) WS-Transfer,
>
> 2) WSRF,
>
> 3) public state accessor operations,
>
> 4) basic interop.
>

> An accessor operation for obtaining the activity status MUST be included
>
> in each of the above implementation options.
>

> Official QNames SHALL be defined for options 1-3.
>

> The GetInteropData operation MUST return a list of QNames that
>
> represents which of the above options is supported. An empty list
>
> implies that ONLY option #4 is available.
>
> ----------------
>

> We should also define what port types option #2 implies or break it up
>
> into three different options for each of the three port types used for
>
> resource property queries in WSRF (wsrp:GetResourceProperty,
>
> wsrp:GetMultipleResourceProperties, and wsrp:QueryResourceProperties).
>

> This sounds good to me.  I presume that “basic interop” means just the
> two accessor operations for activity status and complete activity infoset?

I was only including the status getter:

 > An accessor operation for obtaining the activity status MUST be included
 >
 > in each of the above implementation options.

In terms of absolute bare minimum interop, I don't think a public resource data getter is necessary.
The implementation can still provide a getter operation for the public resource data, but the
assumption under basic interop is that it is not a standard the spec knows about or chooses to
support. Basic interactions can still occur. It's just that a client not built specifically for the
implementation won't be able to inspect the more detailed information about the services.

Peter