[ogsa-bes-wg] BES spec

Christopher Smith csmith at platform.com
Wed Jul 5 15:12:00 CDT 2006

On 04/7/06 05:15, "David Snelling" <David.Snelling at uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> On 3 Jul 2006, at 18:49, Christopher Smith wrote:
>
>> Another rendering for this, which Marvin and I explored a little
>> bit when
>> writing our document, is:
>>
>> <ActivityState BaseState="running">
>>     <SubState StateName="profile1:Stagingin>
>>         <SubState StateName="profile1:Held"/>
>>     </SubState>
>> </ActivityState>
>
> I don't think we need two different tags. ActivityState only should
> work, as the substate concept is captured structurally. My personal
> preference is still for the subtyping approach, but I can't see
> myself winning on that one.

The nice thing about having two elements is that you can require the
BaseState and StateName attributes, whereas one element would render them
both optional. If re-use of StateName for the base states is desired, then
we lose the ability to explicitly enumerate the names of the base states.

But other than this use of XML, there is no conceptual difference, as far as
I can tell.

-- Chris