[ogsa-bes-wg] Tracker item

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 5 11:11:19 CDT 2006

Hi,

Either I am not registered properly (although I have received email saying
that I am), or there is something funny about my configuration, but I
cannot yet comment on trackers. So in the meantime, I will send a comment
by email, which I will add to the tracker when I am able:

----------------------------

Tracker: BES V1.0
Title: Change Container to Activity Container
container.

Ian Foster Comment:

Having read and edited the specification at length, I still do not
understand the meaning or purpose of the "container" concept.

I understand that different instantiations of a Basic Execution Service
implementation may be configured to create "activities" on different
computational resources. E.g., one might create activities on a single
computer, another might create activities in a Web services container,
another might dispatch create requests to a parallel computer, another
might even dispatch create requests to one or more other BESs.

However, I don't understand what the term "container" refers to in this
context. Is the "container":

a) the system component that accepts the incoming requests, decides what to
do with them, invokes the appropriate operation(s) on the corresponding
computational resources to create "activities", maintains state associated
with those activities, etc.;

b) the computational resources on which activities are created; or

c) both of the above?

Reading the specification, it seems to me that the answer is supposed to be
(b). However, sometimes things read as if (a) is intended.

I raise this issue because I think it relates to this tracker. The term
"container" does indeed introduce confusion (IMHO). Thus, why not remove it
altogether?