[ogsa-bes-wg] OGSA BES Meeting and WS-BaseFaults

Marvin Theimer theimer at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 30 21:11:48 CDT 2006

Hi;

My email from yesterday (see copy below) summarizes where I believe things are.  People should please speak up if they disagree with my perception of things. J

Marvin.

Hi;

Apologies for replying to this email thread so late.

At the BES telecon call last week we decided to not require WS-BaseFaults in the BES specification.  As Tom Maguire pointed out in his emails (below), there are issues with requiring that only WS-BF faults be returned, including that one must be prepared to accept non WS-BF faults from intermediaries in any case.  I had made a statement in email and on telecon calls that people I had queried at Microsoft had also raised various concerns related to tooling.  Included below is part of an email from a colleague that sheds a bit more light on the issues that have people concerned.

-----------------------------
Here is my quick skim through:

Main goal of the spec is to introduce base type for detail element of the fault
1)       Not clear what value base fault type provides over SOAP 1.2 Fault ,  except for d)
a.       Originator EPR:
                                                               i.      Originator EPR is always known via Addressing facilities.
                                                             ii.      Mix in of infrastructure details into application message parts: application may not know what it's EPR is.
b.       ErrorCode:
                                                               i.       Limited duplicate of SOAP1.2 fault codes and sub-codes. Uri associated with fault should be represented by the wsa:Action
c.       Description:
                                                               i.      duplicates SOAP 1.2 Fault reason
d.       FaultCause:
                                                               i.      this is the only valuable piece IMHO - common representation of nested exceptions.
                                                             ii.      This can be provided by using open content model for SOAP1.2 Fault detail .

2)       Child elements of Base fault are not namespace qualified - this leads to known threats of having unqualified elements. Does not map to DataContract.

3)       Should not require name='fault' on the message - there is no need for this and this blocks existing WSDL-generators.

4)       Folks need to define Action uris for individual fault messages, since Addressing is assumed to be used.

Our WSDLs generated by default for Faults will not adhere to 2 and 3.

Points 2 and 3 are the key issues:

·        Point 2 implies a security issue and I'm leery about introducing anything that even hints of a security problem.

·        Point 2 also references the fact that Microsoft (and others') tooling is headed in the direction of generating (and analyzing) contracts over web service protocols.  Making a web service protocol into a statically analyzable contract implies that you either explicitly expose all the possible nested fault details - implying that you've tightly coupled things and made them brittle with respect to internal service behaviors that might change over time - or that you have protocol content that can't be determined until runtime.

·        Point 3 is a good example of WS-BF breaking the tooling.

Marvin.