[ogsa-bes-wg] Management Functions in BES

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jul 24 11:23:57 CDT 2005

+2

At 09:39 AM 7/24/2005 -0400, Tom Maguire wrote:
>+1 Karl
>

>Frey’s Law: “Every 5 years the number of architecture components
>double and
>the ability to comprehend them halves”
>

>Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
>there is nothing left to take away.   ­ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
>
>T o m   M a g u i r e
>

>STSM, On Demand Architecture
>

>Poughkeepsie, NYÂ  12601
>

>              Karl Czajkowski
>              <karlcz at univa.com
>              Sent by:                  Steven Newhouse
>              owner-ogsa-bes-wg         <s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk>
>              @ggf.org                                                   cc
>                                        ogsa-bes-wg at ggf.org
>                                                                    Subject
>              07/24/2005 01:13          Re: [ogsa-bes-wg] Management
>              AM                        Functions in BES
>

>On Jul 23, Steven Newhouse modulated:
> > >Discussion: Sections 3.4, 3.5 & 3.6. Having 3 management operations in
> > >the BES specification until generic OGSA management structure defined?
> >
> > The operations in 3.4 & 3.5 (Start & Stop AcceptingNewActivities) I see
> > as being a service specific management function (i.e. they effectively
> > alter the behavior of one specific operation within the service).
> >

>While its semantics references a BES operation, it seems to me that it
>is a more general management pattern for any service that has a
>stateful, factory-like interface: stop accepting/creating new work
>items but continue processing the existing ones (whatever they are).
>The BES-specific meaning could just as easily be specified by calling
>out this work acceptance model so that it can be related to an
>external management mechanism.
>
>I think it is wrong to burden BES implementations with these kinds of
>management functions that are specific to a hosting environment.  I
>think the right path here is to engage in management standards for web
>services and create profiles to compose these with a basic execution
>service if you require both.
>
>I cannot see these functions as being more important interop points
>than any of the other security and policy management functions which
>everyone seems to agree are out of scope.  If you must use localized
>mechanisms to do practical management of a BES installation, I am not
>sure what these functions buy you.
>

>karl
>
>--
>Karl Czajkowski
>karlcz at univa.com

Ian Foster                    www.mcs.anl.gov/~foster
Math & Computer Science Div.  Dept of Computer Science
Argonne National Laboratory   The University of Chicago
Argonne, IL 60439, U.S.A.     Chicago, IL 60637, U.S.A.
Tel: 630 252 4619             Fax: 630 252 1997
         Globus Alliance, www.globus.org