[ogsa-bes-wg] Management Functions in BES

Tom Maguire tmaguire at us.ibm.com
Sun Jul 24 08:39:04 CDT 2005

+1 Karl

Frey’s Law: “Every 5 years the number of architecture components double and
the ability to comprehend them halves”

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away.   – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

T o m   M a g u i r e

STSM, On Demand Architecture

Poughkeepsie, NY  12601

             Karl Czajkowski
             <karlcz at univa.com
             Sent by:                  Steven Newhouse
             owner-ogsa-bes-wg         <s.newhouse at omii.ac.uk>
             @ggf.org                                                   cc
                                       ogsa-bes-wg at ggf.org
                                                                   Subject
             07/24/2005 01:13          Re: [ogsa-bes-wg] Management
             AM                        Functions in BES

On Jul 23, Steven Newhouse modulated:
> >Discussion: Sections 3.4, 3.5 & 3.6. Having 3 management operations in
> >the BES specification until generic OGSA management structure defined?
>
> The operations in 3.4 & 3.5 (Start & Stop AcceptingNewActivities) I see
> as being a service specific management function (i.e. they effectively
> alter the behavior of one specific operation within the service).

While its semantics references a BES operation, it seems to me that it
is a more general management pattern for any service that has a
stateful, factory-like interface: stop accepting/creating new work
items but continue processing the existing ones (whatever they are).
The BES-specific meaning could just as easily be specified by calling
out this work acceptance model so that it can be related to an
external management mechanism.

I think it is wrong to burden BES implementations with these kinds of
management functions that are specific to a hosting environment.  I
think the right path here is to engage in management standards for web
services and create profiles to compose these with a basic execution
service if you require both.

I cannot see these functions as being more important interop points
than any of the other security and policy management functions which
everyone seems to agree are out of scope.  If you must use localized
mechanisms to do practical management of a BES installation, I am not
sure what these functions buy you.

karl

--
Karl Czajkowski