[OGSA-AUTHZ] checkpointing the discussion on VO attributes

Krzysztof Benedyczak golbi at mat.uni.torun.pl
Mon Jan 21 16:50:01 CST 2008

Valerio Venturi wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 15:52 +0100, Chad La Joie wrote:
>> Yes, when I made the comment about the VO needing an entity ID I was
>> thinking that a VO would be represented by a distinct piece of software.
>>   Given my updated understanding that a single piece of software might
>> represent multiple VOs, then yes, I think the VO attribute is needed.
>> What does need an entity ID is the VO software system.
>
> Thinking in VOMS terms, where service instances and VO have a one-to-one
> or many-to-one relationship, I liked the idea. But there's the need for
> having one-to-may relationships. If I understand correclty, Krzysztof
> were thinking about doing something like
>
> <saml:Attribute
>   FriendlyName="vo"
>   <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type="xsd:string">
>     aVo
>   </saml:AttributeValue>
>   <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type="xsd:string">
>     anotherVo
>   </saml:AttributeValue>
> </saml:Attribute>

Right.

> If we go for that, on the line of the agreement on roles and groups,
> that a role scoped in a group must not be present if the group is not
> present , I guess the same must be done for groups. Groups
> hierarchically based in a VO must not be present is the vo is not
> present.

I think we agree, but I will rearticulate this to be sure:
Attribute stating that a subject is a member of a group 'G',
hierarchically based in a VO 'V', implies that the subject is a member
of 'V'.

I think that using the form 'must (not) be present' can be misleading as
response containing only e.g. group-attributes (without vo-attributes)
is perfectly valid if requester queried only for them.

This topic brings question if we assume the same for 'subgroup
hierarchically based in a group' case? For me the answer should be
positive. However AFAIR in VOMS membership in a subgroup doesn't imply
membership in its parent group, isn't it?

Best regards,
Krzysztof