[OGSA-AUTHZ] checkpointing the discussion on VO attributes

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Wed Feb 6 07:55:55 CST 2008

Hi Valerio

it seems like the preferred course of action by the ADs is for the
OGSA-Authz group to publish its existing specs then close down, and
another group be formed with a new charter to do longer term attribute,
obligation and other (yet to be decided) stuff.

Thats fine by me.

regards

David

Valerio Venturi wrote:
> Hi,

>>> those
>>> community
>>> concern with
>>> attribute

>> obligations is > a long term project that will mature as more people
>> start to use them. I > dont think a quick fix spec is the correct
>> approach, because if it is > quick, it wont be complete, and if it is
>> complete it cannot be quick.
>>
> You're totally right, a quick fix spec is not what we need. Having
> a new group working on that seems to me going in the direction
> of more thought, complete documents, which is what we all would
> prefer.
>
>> > Therefore the approach that I have been advocating is a two step
>> one. A > quick first stab at a few core attributes and obligations
>> (either in an > existing doc so that a charter change is not needed)
>> or as a separate > doc (in which case a charter change or new WG is
>> needed) - I dont
> Honestly I've a mild opinion on that. Probably it would be cleaner to
> have separated docs, as someone in the WG suggested, but I don't have
> problems with having some attributes defined in the authz decision
> request spec, and definitely this is not a showstopper.
>
>> > actually mind which approach is taken. But I dont support the
>> creation > of a new WG, since this will only dilute the effort we
>> have, and it is
> I understood that the OGSA AuthZ WG is going to finish its work shortly
> after next OGF, or at least continuining at a minimum level, having the
> chartered docs in public comments. So I thought there wouldn't have been
> a big overlapping between the two WGs.
> Am I wrong?
> I implicitly suggested a change to the charter to include the attribute
> doc in my first mail, and my impression from talking with DavidG and
> Blair in the last momths is that they don't fell like changing the WG
> charter.
> Probably a clarification from the area directors on that is needed,
> since this is also related on how they see the future of the security
> area.
>

>> > likely to grow to include further topics (such as obligations  :-)
>> as one > sees fit. If one is concerned about the progress of the
>> current set of > Authz documents it is because very few people are
>> actually contributing > to them, and some that are working in the area
>> do not wish to actively > contribute.
>>
> I see your point, and I share your disappointment. But we cannot go
> chasing people and force them to commit. It's their choice, and either
> they're not interested in standards or they think it wasn't worth
> committing.
> As a condition for starting a new WG, we must have a real interest from
> the community. This means both time to commit, and implementation
> experience to share.
>
>> > After the first quick fix has been published then a much longer term
> [...]

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184