[OGSA-AUTHZ] Draft mins

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 20:33:59 CDT 2007

Blair Dillaway wrote:
> David,
>
> Generally the notes look good, couple of comments on statements
> attributed to me
>
> 1) Blair Dillaway raised the issue that he thinks this model (??Which
> one??)  is not scalable (Blair to clarify this point as notes are not
> specific enough)
>
> This comment was made specifically in regard to the proposed approach
> of returning information needed by the resource guard acting on an
> authorization as an XACML obligation URI.

Ok I will update the minutes to record this.

  This was a brand new
> addition to the spec and consequently there has been no discussion
> about it.

Actually you are wrong here. The latest version published on 24 May 2007
contains obligations see

https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc14565?nav=1

the change that I have made to the spec since then is simply to define 3
standard obligation urls, one for gridmap files, one for coordinated
decision making, and one to email and administrator.

  There is potentially a lot of such information which makes
> me wonder, without any serious thought on the issue,  if an
> obligation is the best approach. I think it is important to ensure
> there is broad consensus this is the correct mechanism.

I agree that discussion of this is valuable, but no-one has chosen to
comment on this on the list since last May (although it was discussed at
the Manchester meeting, see the minutes).

> 2) BD raised a criticism that this modification to the spec was done
> in "private"
>
> I was not suggesting there has been anything done contrary to OGF
> process. I was merely pointing out that there has been an obvious
> problem in finding people interested in contributing to the WG
> specifications and/or reviewing drafts.

I can agree with that :-)

   I am concerned that changes
> to the drafts were made and not posted ahead of the meeting. As David
> explained, this was due to the fact he only made the changes last
> week. Still, it is impossible to have a constructive discussion on
> changes people are seeing for the first time.
>
> David has done an admirable job in continuing to make progress.
> However, the OGF standards process requires proposed recommendations
> have broad interest to the community. It will be difficult to justify
> continued work in this area if more people from the community aren't
> willing to participate. So everyone, please let us know if care about
> this work and try to make some time commitment to WG!

I can agree with that too

David

> Regards, Blair Dillaway
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: ogsa-authz-wg-bounces at ogf.org