[OGSA-AUTHZ] Draft mins

Blair Dillaway blaird at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 17 12:39:28 CDT 2007

David,

Generally the notes look good, couple of comments on statements attributed to me

1) Blair Dillaway raised the issue that he thinks this model (??Which one??)  is not scalable (Blair to clarify this point as notes are not specific enough)

This comment was made specifically in regard to the proposed approach of returning information needed by the resource guard acting on an authorization as an XACML obligation URI. This was a brand new addition to the spec and consequently there has been no discussion about it. There is potentially a lot of such information which makes me wonder, without any serious thought on the issue,  if an obligation is the best approach. I think it is important to ensure there is broad consensus this is the correct mechanism.

2) BD raised a criticism that this modification to the spec was done in "private"

I was not suggesting there has been anything done contrary to OGF process. I was merely pointing out that there has been an obvious problem in finding people interested in contributing to the WG specifications and/or reviewing drafts.  I am concerned that changes to the drafts were made and not posted ahead of the meeting. As David explained, this was due to the fact he only made the changes last week. Still, it is impossible to have a constructive discussion on changes people are seeing for the first time.

David has done an admirable job in continuing to make progress. However, the OGF standards process requires proposed recommendations have broad interest to the community. It will be difficult to justify continued work in this area if more people from the community aren't willing to participate. So everyone, please let us know if care about this work and try to make some time commitment to WG!

Regards,
Blair Dillaway