[OGSA-AUTHZ] VOMS Primary Attribute

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 10:31:28 CST 2007

Hi Vincenzo

If something is defined as a sequence, then order is important and it
should be maintained.

So it would appear that you are doing things correctly in your
implementation. Whether it is the best way of doing it or not, is open
to debate. But it is your implementation and your choice

regards

David

Vincenzo Ciaschini wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David Chadwick wrote:
>

>> Valerio Venturi wrote:

>>> What we haven't understood so far is why an explicit primary attribute
>>> is needed rather then an implicit one and what needs an eventual change
>>> in VOMS AC format would address.
>>

>> Hi Valerio
>>
>> The OGSA Authz group is not saying that an explicit primary attribute
>> is needed. It is saying that if you have a set of attributes, then
>> they are all the same, and should be treated as all being the same,
>> and you cannot imply something special for the first one in the list,
>> since the order may not be maintained by intermediate processing
>> nodes, or even by software modules within one system.
> Ahhhh....  I think that there is a misunderstanding here.  It is
> certainly true that a single Attribute object may contain a SET OF
> AttributeValue, thus creating the problem you just described.  However,
> the VOMS attribute is defined as such, as you may also see in the profile:
>
> name         : voms-attribute
> OID          : { voms 4 }
> syntax       : IetfAttrSyntax
> values       : Multiple not allowed
>
> This means that only one value may be present in there.
>
> The different FQAN are then encoded in that single value in a sequence.
>
> Evaluating nodes are so required to keep the order to comply with ASN.1
> decoding rules, thus eliminating the issue.
>
> Ciao,
>    Vincenzo

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184