[OGSA-AUTHZ] VOMS Primary Attribute

Vincenzo Ciaschini vincenzo.ciaschini at cnaf.infn.it
Wed Jan 31 10:08:37 CST 2007

Hi David,

David Chadwick wrote:

> Valerio Venturi wrote:

>>What we haven't understood so far is why an explicit primary attribute
>>is needed rather then an implicit one and what needs an eventual change
>>in VOMS AC format would address.
>

> Hi Valerio
>
> The OGSA Authz group is not saying that an explicit primary attribute is
> needed. It is saying that if you have a set of attributes, then they are
> all the same, and should be treated as all being the same, and you
> cannot imply something special for the first one in the list, since the
> order may not be maintained by intermediate processing nodes, or even by
> software modules within one system.
Ahhhh....  I think that there is a misunderstanding here.  It is
certainly true that a single Attribute object may contain a SET OF
AttributeValue, thus creating the problem you just described.  However,
the VOMS attribute is defined as such, as you may also see in the profile:

name         : voms-attribute
OID          : { voms 4 }
syntax       : IetfAttrSyntax
values       : Multiple not allowed

This means that only one value may be present in there.

The different FQAN are then encoded in that single value in a sequence.

Evaluating nodes are so required to keep the order to comply with ASN.1
decoding rules, thus eliminating the issue.

Ciao,
    Vincenzo