[OGSA-AUTHZ] Draft XACML/SAML Protocol Profile

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 10:44:06 CST 2007

Hi Chad

concerning passing attribute assertions between entities

Chad La Joie wrote:

> For those that aren't subscribed to one of the many lists on which this
> issue has been brought up, let me outline the basics.  These assertions
> carry potentially sensitive information about a user.

correct, so in this case they should be encrypted for the SP which is
the ultimate destination of the assertion.

   Most attribute
> authorities contain the ability to control the release of this
> information on a per-party basis (i.e. A can see/request the sensitive
> information but B may not).  A service which passed the information it
> received onto another service circumvents the attribute authority and
> its policies.

This is not always so. For example, B may request the attribute
assertion from the AA in order to forward it to A (the SP). In this case
the AA will return the assertion to B, encrypted for A to read. B is
given the assertion to pass onto A,  but B cannot read it, so there is
no circumvention of the AA's policy in this case.

regards

David

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184