[OGSA-AUTHZ] Next Telecon

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Tue Oct 31 15:59:30 CST 2006

Hi Joni

Joni Hahkala wrote:
> Hi Tom, Valerio,
>
> Personally I have to say I like it, the pure access control systems may
> then concentrate on the full list of vos/groups (as it includes the
> primary) and the applications that need the primary info can concentrate
> on that field. There might be a semantical difference in the primary
> vo/group in VOMS and in the eduPerson as in VOMS the primary vo/group is
> selected by the user and I couldn't find on the links you sent whether
> the primaries were selected by the user or by some other means. The
> primaryOrgUnitDN at least seems to be set by the institution according
> to the description. Also as the VOMS primary info is user defined, it
> can't be inside the VOMS ACs

Why cant it? I thought the ACs were created on demand for the user and
were different for different grid jobs. In which case, when the VOMS
server creates the AC for the particular job, it puts the two attributes
(primary and all) inside the one AC.

regards

David

(but could be inside the extension) and it
> would require a separate verification step to validate that this user
> defined primary is among the valid vos/groups.
>
> But if you mean bringing this to the current VOMS system, that might be
> a harder sell, as the explicit primary would probably mean a change in
> the VOMS AC extension format, VOMS parsers and maybe in VOMS api and in
> the software that uses VOMS. As the current system works, it might be
> hard to sell even though this would be nicer way of accomplishing the
> primary specification...
>
> I'm sure Vincenzo and Valerio have some comments.
>
> Cheers,
> Joni
>
> Tom Scavo wrote, On 10/31/2006 04:16 PM:
>> Thank you, Valerio and Joni, for the clarification.  I now understand
>> what you are trying to achieve with the ordering of VO membership
>> attributes.
>>
>> Instead of relying on the ordering of attributes, which implicitly
>> conveys a primary attribute, even in those cases where a primary does
>> not exist, why not make the primary attribute explicit?  As an
>> example, consider the eduPerson specification
>>
>> http://www.nmi-edit.org/eduPerson/internet2-mace-dir-eduperson-200604.html
>>
>> on which the MACE-Dir SAML Attribute Profiles is  based
>>
>> http://middleware.internet2.edu/dir/docs/internet2-mace-dir-saml-attributes-200604.pdf
>>

>> There we have a multi-valued attribute called eduPersonAffiliation and
>> a corresponding single-valued attribute called
>> eduPersonPrimaryAffiliation.  The ordering of attribute values within
>> eduPersonAffiliation is unspecified while eduPersonPrimaryAffiliation
>> exposes a distinguished such attribute value.
>>
>> Making the primary affiliation explicit is preferable to an implicit
>> ordering, I think.  Can VO membership be handled in this way?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tom
>>
>> On 10/31/06, Joni Hahkala <joni.hahkala at cern.ch> wrote:
>>> Just extending a bit with the reasoning we have used in EGEE...
>>>
>>> Yes, the "primary" VO and group etc are important for the accounting,
>>> for example who gets changed for the CPU time and the storage space.
>>> Also usually it is good to have a concept of file owner, which the
>>> primary group/vo facilitates.
>>>
>>> For the plain access control they are probably not so important, unless
>>> you think the obligations like account name etc are part of access
>>> control.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Joni

>>> OGF by
>>> what we
>>> concerns

>>> to mark
>>> VOMS,
>>> specyfing the
>>> this is
>>> is in
>>> of the
>>> about how
>>> Attributes,
>>> probably be doing what you suggested).
>>> it is

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184