[OGSA-AUTHZ] Next Telecon

Blair Dillaway blaird at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 1 17:26:59 CST 2006

David,

I'm not sure I fully understand this proposal, but a couple of things came to mind. Hope you find these comments useful.

> Each of these 3 interfaces could be APIs or open protocols.

I think it would be a good idea to clarify if the WG plans to produce APIs, protocols, or both. One typically doesn't find the same data encodings used in protocol wire-formats and APIs.

> 1. PEP-Context Handler.  PEP→CH, the authenticated name of
> the user, the credentials of the user (optional) and the
> user’s access request.
> CH→PEP, the authorization decision.
>
> 2. Context Handler-CVS. CH→CVS, the authenticated name of the
> user, the credentials of the user (optional). CVS→CH, the
> validated attributes of the user.
>
> 3. Context Handler-PDP. CH→PDP, the authenticated name of the
> user, the validated attributes of the user and the user’s
> access request. PDP→CH, the authorization decision.
>
> If credentials can be packaged as attributes, then only two
> protocols need to be standardised, namely 1/3 and 2.

I believe you're saying you want to treat 'validated attributes' and credentials the same way for all 3 APIs/protocols? This may be all right in this context, but one should ask if this beneficial for implementors. I haven't fully thought this through, but it might increase decoding and error handling complexity.

The proposal suggests 'tunneling' of SAML credentials inside a SAML attribute. You'd need to clearly specify the processing rules. For example, if the endpoint is expecting user attributes and receive a SAML credential are they supposed to decode the credential and pull out any included attributes?

Finally, your mail seems to indicate a need to define, and get agreement on, new SAML attribute types. Adopting the WS* defined approach for security token encoding may be an easier path.

Regards,
Blair Dillaway