[OGSA-AUTHZ] Updated version of VOMS Specification

Vincenzo Ciaschini vincenzo.ciaschini at cnaf.infn.it
Thu May 11 10:06:29 CDT 2006

Blair Dillaway wrote:
> Vincenzo,
>
> In reading this draft I've found a few places I believe would benefit
> from some additional clarification.
>
> (1) 3.1.1 - "As a consequence of this, in VOMS ACs the only
> admissible choice for the field is the baseCertificateID."
>
> You might re-write this to say the holder field MUST include the
> baseCertificateID field and omit the entityName and objectDigestInfo
> fields. The syntax defines a sequence of 3 optional fields, not a
> choice.

But the RFC recommends that only one should be used. Done.

> (2) 3.4.1.2 - "Where <root group> is by convention the name of the
> virtual organization."
>
> The document seems to imply this is a required encoding for
> interoperability purposes. If so, its not just a convention. You
> should clarify if this is a MUST, SHOULD, or RECOMMENDED encoding.
Right, done.

> (3) 3.4.1.2 - "Future compatibility issue: It is possible that in the
> future a /Role=NULL component may be omitted in its entirety.  The
> same goes for a /Capability=NULL part.  Conforming applications
> SHOULD be prepared to handle these cases."
>
> The previous paragraph states "The /Capability=<capability name> part
> is deprecated....". If so, I assume conforming implementations SHOULD
> always omit the /Capability part whether or not its null. Having it
> be deprecated and noting it may disappear in the future seem to be in
> conflict.
Unfortunately, that is the besr that ca be done for the moment, since it
should continue to be included until the software out there has has a
reasonable chance to change its implementation not to rely on it.
Obviously, this come free if the official APIs are used.

> Also the statement that /Role=NULL *may* be omitted in the future
> seems to be in conflict with the examples in 3.4.1.3. The compact
> format shown does omit Role=NULL. If this is allowed, then the 'in
> the future' qualification should be removed. It should be stated if
> the compact format is recommended, required, or simply a supported
> encoding option.

The intent of the sentence is to state that applications interested in
reading the date should deal with the case that the field could be empty.

> (4) 3.4.2.2 - "A name-specific syntax that encodes multiple values in
> a single pair is also allowed."
>
> Examples of a single value and multiple value encoding would be
> helpful here. The syntax in 3.4.2.1 indicates a Tag includes only a
> single name, value, and qualifier field. I assume how multiple values
> are encoded into the value field should be specified for interop
> purposes.

As said, it is name-specific, meaning that each attribute can choose its
own way.

> Regards, Blair
Bye,
    Vincenzo