[OGSA-AUTHZ] Revised Charter

Olle Mulmo mulmo at pdc.kth.se
Tue Apr 25 03:09:22 CDT 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 02:27, Blair Dillaway wrote:

> Does this make sense? As should be evident, I'm in favor of a
> broadly scoped AuthZ WG charter that can accommodate multiple
> deliverables. Are there people who would prefer another approach?

The only downside to that is the risk of spreading the workforce too
thin, with too many things happening at once.

The approach most commonly used in GGF is to have a narrowly scoped
charter with one or two deliverables only, crank on those documents,
then recharter (or die). This resolves the group's common sense of
urgency of various deliverables up front, as you have to pick and
choose what to work on for the short-term.

For longer-lived groups, such a recharter-recharter-recharter
strategy is often accompanied by some visionary outlook or roadmap
though. Trying to be pragmatic and keep things simple, I don't see
why that vision couldn't be described as a "background material"
section as you suggest.

Bottom line: as long as the group is healthy, produce sensible output
and stay focused on a few things at a time, then the charter doesn't
really matter.

/Olle