[OGSA-AUTHZ] WG Last Call: Use of SAML for OGSA Authorization

Markus Lorch mlorch at vt.edu
Thu Dec 16 04:30:57 CST 2004

Von and others,

I was originally hoping that we may have obligations defined
in this version but have been convinced by the arguments presented
by others on the list that we should go ahead and finalize
the May version without the addition on new features first.

One note on the Advice extension point (5.1.1	Element <
AuthorizationAdvice>):

When coding additional advice types that utilize this
extension points I noticed that, at least in the existing
prototype implementation within GT3.3, it requires changes
to the low layer parser for the ExtendedAuthorizationDecisionQuery.

I think this is due to the fact that AuthoizationAdvice is
an abstract type for which instantiations of AuthorizationAdvice
change the tag name to e.g. SubjectAttributeReferenceAdvice and
this tag name thus has to be recognized directly by the
parser that reads the ExtendedAuthorizationDecisionQuery.

Would it be a more scalable/extensible approach to have an
base-Element called "AuthorizationAdvice" with a minimal general
structure which could be extended by specific Advice implementations
without chaning the Element tag name within the
ExtendedAuthorizationDecisionQuery.
This would allow a parser for ExtendedAuthorizationDecisionQuery
to parse through the query without having been armed with all the
code that would anticipate every single possible advice implementation.
I.e., adding one more level of redirection to facilitate that somebody
who wants to extend by adding a new advice doesn't have to
modify the parser for ExtendedAuthorizationDecisionQuery.

It may well be possible that it could be coded this way with the
existing definition but I just don't know how. I will be happy
to learn about the appropiate way of implementing such an
extension point.

Markus

d=119&category_id=450&document_content_id=3227

PDF version:
https://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewProperties.php?group_id=119&category
_id=450&document_content_id=3228

Changes from May, 2004 to December, 2004 version:

 * Added Appendix C giving an example of how GT4 creates URIs from
 WS-Addressing elements.

 * Marked Recipient field in 5.1 as depreciated since it is
 insufficient to stop replay attacks.