[ogf20pc] conference

Kimmo Koski kimmo.koski at csc.fi
Wed Jan 17 13:47:12 CST 2007

Dear All,

Just a few more comments by email for the speaker issue following some of
the conversation from the last teleconference.

Since the event is in Europe, I think (even if I understood that policy
related talks are less desired than other issues) it might still be a good
idea to include e-IRG chairman (Leif Laaksonen) to review e-IRG policies and
in addition the e-Science activities in Europe.

Another interested area I mentioned in one of my previous mail was the
regional grid activities in Nordic countries (NDGF, Nordic Data Grid
Facility) with a possible technical talk, in case a session related to
national and regional grid efforts will take place. I have exchanges mail
about this with Wolfgang Gentzsch, since I understood he is planning this
particular issue.

I had to leave before the industry related session was finished, so here are
some additional proposals for that part:

-          Hannelore Hammerle mentioned the EGEE Industry day related to
bioinformatics held in Helsinki after IST conference. I think that event was
pretty interesting and attracted moderate number of people, so including
bioinformatics related session could be a good idea. Industrial companies,
Novartis for example, could make an interesting talk. One additional
possibility is Ernest Feydmann from Swiss biogrid.

-          Telecom companies have recently mentioned 'grid' more often than
before in their powerpoints. They usually consider grid differently than
academic, but could give some views about (mobile) applications and grids
etc. For example a speaker from Nokia Research Center (software lab
probably) might be suitable. If needed, I can try to find one.

-          EU NESSI platform considers applications and services, in which
grid is mentioned time to time. I do not know how far they have reached, but
a status report with presentation of planned activities (next steps) would
be interesting for industry session

Greetings,

Kimmo

Kimmo Koski
Managing Director

CSC, Tieteen tietotekniikan keskus (The Finnish IT center for science)
P.O.Box 405 (Keilaranta 14) FI-02101 Espoo FINLAND

tel +358-9-4572001
fax +358-9-4572302
Internet: Kimmo.Koski at csc.fi