[ogf20pc] Notes from last night's telcon

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 22 10:25:20 CST 2007

I recommended canceling developer track even though I am obviously a
strong supporter of it. We simply cannot do a good job with the few
slots available for community and developer tracks. We will annoy many
people who want to contribute if we announce it and turn down the dozen
or more people who will expect to be on track. We should smile and do a
good job on community track at OGF20 and reserve doing a good job on
developer track at OGF21

neil p chue hong wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>

>> There is a suggestion to cancel the developer track at OGF20,
>> as we are short of slots and have several good workshop
>> proposals.  E.g. we would like to fit in the Arts and
>> Humanities workshop.
>>

> I think it would be a big mistake to cancel the Developer Track. If we are
> to consider OGF in its wider role as a community forum to bring together
> people working in eScience, the Developer track fulfils a previously
> unaddressed gap for those who are working close to standards but not on
> them, and those who are working with applications scientists on developing
> software and applications.
>
> The four sessions I attended at OGF19 (GT4, OMII-UK, Genesis-II and OGCE)
> were all very well attended and generated a lot of ongoing interest. My only
> comment is that the steer for these sessions should focus them to a
> developer audience - some veered a bit to high up towards marketing.
>
> cheers,
> neil

:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org
: Phones Cell 812-219-4643 Home 8123239196 Lab 8128567977
: SkypeIn 812-669-0772 with voicemail, International cell 8123910207